Okay. So, which is it? Chris Matthews says…
You know what I think of people when they come on “Hardball,” and they look at the camera, I think they’re dolts.
Don’t believe that quote? Here’s the audio. I think Roger Simon from Politico and I watched the same 2008 Vice-Presidential Debate held at Washington University.
ROGER SIMON, POLITICO: When she faced the audience, she always looked directly into the camera, always directly at America. Joe Biden was turned for most of it.
CHRIS MATTHEWS: He was looking at Gwen.
SIMON: At Gwen Ifill, exactly! Which came across better?
MATTHEWS: Well apparently according to all the polling, talking to, answering the questions of the moderator, not ignoring those questions, not doing what every, every first year candidate does is go right to the camera. You know what I think of people when they come on “Hardball,” and they look at the camera, I think they’re dolts. I think that’s the one thing people don’t like, because when you’re looking at me right now, that’s real. You’re looking at me that’s real. You start looking in the camera right now and answer my question and see how you look. Okay just see how you look.
I’m not sure which debate Chris Matthews watched. Does anyone know if Tina Fey and SNL were doing a spoof last night to which Matthews might have tuned his television? 😉
But, what about Barack Obama having looked into the camera so much at the first presidential debate at Ole Miss? Did Chris Matthews have a problem with that? Nope. I didn’t hear a word out of him. But, his friends at the NYT praised Obama for it…
The differences were in no small part stylistic and visible with a glance to the stage: a 47-year-old black man who has been in the Senate for nearly four years standing at one lectern, facing a 72-year-old white-haired fixture of the Senate standing across from him. In many ways, Mr. Obama was a very different candidate than he was during the primary battles. He answered questions directly and affirmatively, typically looking right into the camera as he spoke.
Chris Matthew and Barack Obama…dolts?! Okay. 😉
* * *
Others posting on this topic:
- The Pinch Collar Came Off Tonight « Mcnorman’s Weblog
- Flopping Aces » Blog Archive » Reactions To The VP Debate
- Thoughts on the VP Debate | The Daily Conservative
- Gov. Palin Did A GREAT Job « Dianej’s Weblog
- Palin does more than hold her own. She cleaned house tonight. « The Right Daily
- Weird coincidence of the day | Civil Commotion
- Stop The ACLU
- The Unalienable Right » Palin and Biden Debate
- Watch out for the Phony Journalist Spin on Debate | NonStopSite
- Webloggin » VP Debate Analysis – Great Job by Palin
- Dewey Napoleon – the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing » Indeed, Sarah rocked them all….now as the media starts tearing her down it will be obvious what is going on
- Vice-Presidential Debate Liveblog! « WitSnapper | The Blog
- Macmind – Conservative Commentary and Common Sense
- Kick the Anthill » Live Blogging the VP Debate
- Open Thread: Vice Presidential Debate…Play Vice presidential debate Bingo…Biden’s 14 Lies…LUNTZ FOCUS GROUP: Overwhelmingly believe Palin won. One holdout says that’s it’s too close to call. | Right Voices
- Stop The ACLU
- Jules Crittenden » Car Crash Liveblog
- The Other McCain: Obligatory VP debate thread
- Health Care BS – DEBATE: BIDEN REPEATS LIE ABOUT MCCAIN’S HEALTH PLAN
- Palin Eats Biden’s Lunch « The Rhetorican
- Palin Biden debate reactions running thread | The Anchoress
- Sarah Rocks! Oh yeah and she rocked the place! « TruthReportNow
- Sarah, Sarah, Sarah! – Nicholas Fitzgerald
- Russ. Just Russ.
- SARAH ROCKS! at Traction Control
- Michelle Malkin » Sarah vs. Smirky: Vice presidential debate thread
- The Baltimore Reporter
- Vice Presidential Debate 2008 (Transcript & Video) » Right Pundits
- Neocon News » Eat ‘cuda!
- Only One Gaffe for Biden (Update) | Counting Sheep
- ‘Cuda Attack! « Nice Deb
- Senator Obiden – I’m Middle Class Too | Bitter Knitter
- What ethics? | Think Forward
- Jeremaih Films
- Biden Palin Vice Presidential Debate: Two Survivors
- SARAH ROCKS! By Michelle Malkin | Saint Sarah Palin
- A Lady’s Ruminations
- Bad economic policy; Barack and Biden’s ideas for change will destroy America « Northern Thoughts And Reflections
- Michelle Malkin: Sarah Rocks | TRUNK REPORT
- Self-composed » Blog Archive » Live Blogging: VP debate
- Leaning Straight Up
- Vice Presidential Debate 2008 (Transcript & Video) « Crack-d-PC
- GayPatriot » Palin Connects with Main Street, Biden with Washington
- Palin Ignites Debate And Silences Critics « Quipster
- Conservatism with Heart
- De race van 2008 » Sarah Palin rocks?
- Aloha Daze » Blog Archive » Sarah!
- race42008.com » Blog Archive » Race 4 2008 Early Morning Essential Reads
- Ed Driscoll.com
- The Meck Deck » Blog Archive » All Veep Round-Up
- What Biden Got Wrong Last Night | The Daily Conservative
- Something odd | Civil Commotion
- How some Christian bloggers scored the Biden v. Palin debate | blogs4God
- This ain’t Hell, but you can see it from here » Blog Archive » Palin Derangement Syndrome on the rise
- BizzyBlog » Things I’d Like to Post About Today ….. (100308, Morning)